A new way to ULTRALIGHT from Belgium

European Hydrofoiling Forum for non german speaking people.
iamvi2
Land: Deutschland

A new way to ULTRALIGHT from Belgium

Beitrag von iamvi2 » Di 28. Jul 2009, 00:06

Hello to all of you I don’t speak german so I write here in English !

Over two years I meet a lot of you at the September 2007 Fly-in in Veessen. May be some of you remember me ….

Initialy, I was interested to buy the carbon seat & TBAR from our friend Ralph, but after good reflexion I was more thinking that Magnesium would be the ‘answer’.
After long thinking, research, working .... finally my ‘dream’ come true, so I build what you could see on the joined pictures.

As you can see, the fuselage is hollow and the TBAR is height adjustable (five step in the seat) and space between wings (front and rear) is also adjustable. Everything is made from Magnesium. About the weight the gain is really amazing.

The complete TBAR without wings is 1.760gr (yes, not a mistake !). The complete seat including variable system (for change TBAR length from 27 to 37inches) is 2.950gr.
A seat without this variable system (much easier to made and so lighter) would be around 2.500gr.
The TBAR is attached on his upper by 2 big bolts, and is guided (under side) at water level (look the under guide in the airchair board).
The TBAR also could be weight reduced. I think the next one (without variable length between wings) could be around 1.500gr !
The TBAR fuselage is made from Mg extrusion.
One meter of this hollow fuselage is approx 800gr. The rest is made from Mg plain bar (30x30) or Mg plates (100x5).
Everything is machined, welded or joined with bolts & screws (stainless steel).

The actual weight of my hydrofoil is around 11kg. My idea is, from more than 3 years, to get a complete unit around 8.00kg, may be under !!!
Let’s see what append in the future.

The next ‘mod’ to my Mg Tbar is to realize a removable ‘keel’ (like all the skyski TBAR’s have under side).
Of course another step to weight reduction, is to go for a carbon or dyneema board, that could ‘save” another 2.500gr probably …

I’m also in ‘close’ contact with Bryan Schumacher (from foilforum.com). He is regularely informed about the evolution of my project. Look here to a part of his last answer:

That setup looks absolutely amazing! There are some very key things that I’ve also been thinking about that you’ve done. Great job!!!

And I’m also amazed at the weight. I have t-bars that weigh almost as much as your whole setup!!! Crazy! Yes, probably not for people hitting 55 frame fronts, but it would hold up for 75% of the riders at least. Plus the weight savings is incredible and would help with learning new tricks, etc.”

The first tests & tuning will be made next month (august).
So more information will came probably in September.

Regards. :top:

PS: I hope you like it :lach:

Michael.
Zuletzt geändert von iamvi2 am Di 28. Jul 2009, 00:29, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

iamvi2

Re: A new way to ULTRALIGHT from Belgium

Beitrag von iamvi2 » Di 28. Jul 2009, 00:13

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

iamvi2

Beitrag von iamvi2 » Di 28. Jul 2009, 00:14

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Tom
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hydrofoiling seit: 0- 0-2002
5 besten Tricks: Air KGB, wake ff, air 360, wake roll
hydrofoil setup: 2010 SkySki LE mit EVO Tower
Zugboot: X-Star LY6, FlyHigh Tower Extension & Ballast, Stereo
Heim-Spot: Lateraal Kanal, Niederlande
Lieblings-Trick: 50+ wake front flip
Lieblings-Getränk: Reissdorf Kölsch
Lieblings-Spot: Luganer See
Lieblings-Boot: X-Star

Beitrag von Tom » Di 28. Jul 2009, 06:00

Looks great :top:
Bild

Marcus
Hydrofoiling seit: 15. Jun 2004
5 besten Tricks: Gainer,cordoba,shifty,undertaker, lazyboy
hydrofoil setup: full foiltech/skyski flameboard/homemade shocktower with comtech shock
Zugboot: phantom 175/115hp outboard/homemade tower/airsling/fatsacks
Heim-Spot: öresjön sweden
Lieblings-Trick: Gainer
Lieblings-Getränk: coca-cola
Lieblings-Spot: öresjön
Lieblings-Boot: mastercraft X-star

Beitrag von Marcus » Di 28. Jul 2009, 22:38

Interesting no doubt that you will be able to fly that thing,but like Bryan said mabye not for the big air guys,good work :top:

Tom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von Tom » Mi 29. Jul 2009, 05:37

this Foil is not for big air guys because all the edges are not sharp. I think the foil go not faster than 35 kmh.
Bild

h o t
Top Poster
Top Poster
Hydrofoiling seit: 19. Sep 2004
5 besten Tricks: FFF, 360, BnC, off BnC, Wake BNC, air KGB
hydrofoil setup: X Air Foils, Xtreme-wings, X Air DD Tbar, X Air Seat Tower, X Air Black CF Board
Zugboot: alles was Wake macht und den Speed hält
Heim-Spot: Zürichsee - Rhein
Lieblings-Trick: BnC to Roll
Lieblings-Getränk: Wasser
Lieblings-Spot: Lake Powell und Antalya
Lieblings-Boot: Malibu Wakesetter
Land: Schweiz

Beitrag von h o t » Mi 29. Jul 2009, 13:35

dull or sharp
most times little dull rides way better than to sharp
nice prototype :top:
I hope I would not brake it at take off
Xtreme Team Rider
www.xtremefoils.com

Ivars
Hydrofoiling seit: 0- 0-2003
hydrofoil setup: SS Pro board, Shocktower, Lex foil
Zugboot: Supra TS6M
Heim-Spot: Latvia
Land: Oesterreich

Beitrag von Ivars » Mi 19. Aug 2009, 08:43

nice try! I remember there already were attempts to make a T-bar with a hollow middle. Don't remember details and the material used but that was not successful, it broke or bent after a few rides. Will be interesting to hear more how this construction works!

Bijlaard
Top Poster
Top Poster

Beitrag von Bijlaard » Mi 19. Aug 2009, 19:10

Would like to see you guys ride and jump it :-) (movie)
or even better take it with you to Holland Fly-In
schade von maus, da drauf zu klicken :-)

iamvi2

Beitrag von iamvi2 » Fr 21. Aug 2009, 14:21

Hello everybody,

I'm answer you from my holidays place.

So to answer quickly some of your questions:

no problem to run the foil at 35km/h, that's the maximum I run because of my ski level, so dull or sharp, for me it works great.
I have some water coming inside my fuselage, so every days I have to 'purge' it out (that will be easely modified when back from holidays).
Two others problem: the painting do not hold on the Magnesium, so it corrode my fuselage and Tbar actually. So I plan to go to anodization in the future.
I have bent a little bit the front of my TBAR (where the front wing is). This was when trying a very big front wing and jump with it. I can only jump 1meter high !
So I will modify the TBAR so that it is not smaller in the front like now. of course it as bent at the junction where it become thinner (-8.00mm). But with the small wing (this on my previous picture) it bent not more, so good .....
And last problem, it is more difficult to install you on the ski in water, because the flottation is not like before. This is because the fuselage is hollow and it try to 'push' you laterally (on the side) because it float, but after some days you are 'dealing' good with this ...
Fuselage is perfect, no bend, no torsion, but when I moved my rear wings at the most back, (my rear wing can go much more back than my original airchair), I get some strange 'sounds' when running it (and it is not foil singing). I think that there is at some moments some 'vibrations'. So I move the rear much to the front and now the 'sounds' dissapear.
Actually I run the fuselage at approx 30inches. I will try next week at it maximum (35-36inches).
I don't now actually where is the limit? but for shure there is one !!! (may be 35, may be 40 ... I don't know actually) ...
Actually, I run the rear wing without the thicker 30mm part, to have the rear wing not aligned with the front wing. And it surprised me, but with or without this part I don't feel any changes when running !!!
So my next TBAR will be stronger in the front, shorter in the back and run without this extra 30mm thicker part, so probably that would save another 100-200gr on my complete TBAR.

I will try, when back from holidays to publish here some more pictures or if possible, short movies ...
Whe have try a very small 'head' camera when running it ...

I do not plan to realize more than jumping 1meter with my Mg ski, so also I'm not plan to 'destroy' it may be for people who would like to know if this can 'hold' the stress of severe figures. Sorry guys, but I have work to much time on this project so it is not to destroy it like a crash F1 tests .... If it crashed, ok I will assumed it, but don't wait from me I go expressly to the limits to broken it !!! I more think that to made severe figures with this Mg TBAR, you need a style of 'shock absorber' where the fuselage fix the seat. That's why even strong alu TBAR bent, because it is to RIGID. Of course, that's only my opinion ...
But I will, of course, tell you my 'returns' of experience here. For those who would love to start themself, may be the 'crash tests' with the Mg adventure, I have material to build another, 3-4 fuselages, TBAR & seat, so let me know in case of interest.

Michael :top:

Ivars
Hydrofoiling seit: 0- 0-2003
hydrofoil setup: SS Pro board, Shocktower, Lex foil
Zugboot: Supra TS6M
Heim-Spot: Latvia
Land: Oesterreich

Beitrag von Ivars » Sa 29. Aug 2009, 21:29

Nice to read the news.
If it's allowed just 1 m jumps it's too low for inverts and even simple jumps become very boring if not going higher. Not sure it's worth spending the energy, time and sources if you are so limited in riding - the funiest part of foiling. :nein:

Bijlaard
Top Poster
Top Poster

Beitrag von Bijlaard » So 30. Aug 2009, 15:33

Nice to hear it functions like you want it,
but I have to ad on your 1 m high jumps: you are happy with them now,
but ............... when you get used to the 1 m thing , you will want more air.
So , we will wait and see what will happen when you jump 2 m :-)
of course I hope your disign is that good that it will make rolls :ja:
schade von maus, da drauf zu klicken :-)

iamvi2

Beitrag von iamvi2 » Mo 31. Aug 2009, 13:58

Hello everybody,

this is the last news about my Mg hydrofoil.

Everything is not perfect, but I'm very satisfied about the results I already achieved.
I have run the fuselage to its absolute maximum, 38inches (higher possible position) and actually at 38 it is NOT working. There is bad vibrations at this level. It works great to MAX 34inches. So I already plan some mod's for spring 2010 to achieve the 38inches. Don't forget this max 38inches TBAR is only for 1.760gr (without wings), we are not speaking about a weight reduction of 200 or 300gr compare to 'classical' TBAR, but to divide the weight not far from 3 times !!! :ja:
Also I will modified many things on the bar whe're fix the wings. Stronger in the front, shorter and ligther in the back and will change probably totally the rear (wings & fixing) but that's, also, for next year.
Carbon wings have work great this summer (no failure, no broken). But it is also depending the ski level of each one. Anyway, for me, carbon wings are just OK. :top:
The seat will be weight reduced, from about 500gr !!! :juggle:
The tests of this hollidays has open me to new things-understanding and so ... Story is never finished ... ;D

I'm happy to jump already 1m and if the future give me opportunity's to jump higher, OK, but if not, I'm also very satisfied about what I can already do today. No need for me to be a 'MASTER' to appreciate foiling. Everybody has to 'find' his pleasure where it is, and with his personal level. But I applause for people (ex: Bryan Schumacher) who can do everything with. Congratulations to all of you who can also ... :top:

This is to tell you, that for me, the goal is to have in the near future a complete hydrofoil around 8.00kg, and don't worry it will happened soon or later ...

I think 'HOT' here has made, previous year, his own light board (BLACK & WHITE) and I'm would be happy to hear and read more about the results of this swiss adventure. So please let me know more about it ....

I will try to publish, in a near future, video's when using my Mg hydrofoil.

I hope I have 'open' a new way to ultralight hydrofoil. I'm 100% sure it is the way to go for beginners, kids and probably a lot of others users ... but you have to do it yourself that's for sure too ...
If I could be for any help do not hesitate to contact me ?

Regards.

Michael

Tom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von Tom » Mo 31. Aug 2009, 14:09

what do you think about ultra light stand up foil ?
Bild

iamvi2

Beitrag von iamvi2 » Mo 31. Aug 2009, 14:46

I have already run a Carafino, it is totally different than our sitting hydrofoil, but my level of use this stand up is very very low, so it is difficult to say more .... but for sure it is another pleasure, totally different compare to sitting hydrofoil.

I think this Mg foil could be used for sure under a stand up hydrofoil, because the contrains are much minder(minus) compare to what they are on our sitting one's.
Everything has to be tested before to know for sure, but in my opinion it will work !

To get a sitting hydrofoil, around 8.00kg, who could achieved and do the job' for severe figures, I think the fuselage has to be rigid (like today) when in used and like 'shock absorbed' into the seat when badly fall (lateral falls of course). So you have to imagine a system who is not moving when applied force under the TBAR (so the stress come from the fuselage to the seat) and that could move (10-20°) when applied force laterally. This would let you badly enter the water without, may be (but without any guarantee), destroying (bending) the fuselage. Simple to say, but not easy to do I think ;)
Otherwise you need steel fuselage (like before) :flop: or continue with the actual alu TBAR's who run nice but are heavy.

Antworten